v1.18; last modified 2004-12-02 18:20:51 EST by sboisvert
Features New in v0.7
This is a list of new functionality already implemented in the next version of PithHelmet.
- enabling PithHelmet is now saved as a preference (the "Block Filtered Content" menu item)
- separate preference checkbox for collapsing content that links to advertising content
- blocked content allows substitute files (this prevents annoying question mark/missing image graphics from loading)
- content from localhost and file:/// are not filtered at all
- block images from server menu item now includes the name of the server that will be blocked
- there is a special rule set ("Exempt Sites") which disables all PithHelmet blocking for any page matching this ruleset
- new contextual menu item "Never block content from <current site domain name>"
- content and error messages are now fully localizable (for info on becoming a translation volunteer see PithHelmetLocalization)
- sites that are in the location bar do not get blocked (this prevents accidental blocking when you type in a url that matches a block rule)
- added some new Help menu items to the preference pane contextual menu - mostly on the subject of regular expressions
- added "Revert to Factory Rules..." contextual menu item - this will remove all custom rules and restore the default set of rules that PithHelmet shipped with (it makes a backup copy of your customized rules first, just in case)
- completely new blocking mechanism based on new WebKit documentation from Apple
- collapse blocked content has been rewritten to limit the number of links it examines on a page - this fixes thevery slow performance reading message digests which could contain ~1000 or more links on a single page.
- merged url and domain-specific rules - this is only a UI change and should simplify the rule editor
- added GIF-wrangler functionality to control whether GIF animations play Always, Once or Never
v2.0 Potential Features
Suggested by lambertd:
- wish granted - implemented in v2.0
- A contextual menu item in addition to "Block images from this server" to block only the selected image
- not sure how useful blocking a single image is, but you can easily accomplish it by copying the image source as a url and pasting it into the block rule manually - not the most elegant, but fully functional
Suggested by John Fredx:
- The option to go offline and read cached pages via the History menu (iCab has this)
- I would like to get better acquainted with Safari's caching and noodle around. Some hacking might make cached urls appear without a network connection, but implementing a full offline mode is pretty involved.
Suggested by dick:
- transmogrifier - rules editing from the preferences pane
- This is tricky - it requires a relatively complicated user interface - even worse than different rule-sets by domain.
- link blocking - rules for blocking img and object child elements of anchor elements based on the anchor href attribute contents
- implemented in v2.0 - you can now specify which rules apply to filtering anchor elements
- style snubber - rules mapping domains/URLs to style sheets (local or remote)
Suggested by sjk:
- Add "loop up to N times" GIF animation control option (per OmniWeb).
- well, i added image blocking per-site. notquitewhat you asked for.
Suggested by grischard:
- A contextual menu to disable flash, or all cross-site content, for the current site (temporarily/permanently).